Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

College vs. High School (Gangnam Style)

     I never expected college to be so different from highschool.  Especially when I'm only attending a community college.  There's no drama and no cliques and no judgement!  It's amazing.  You can talk to anyone and easily make new friends.  Even though suprisingly most people are quiet and shy at first.
     I've now made friends from Ghana and Yemen.  I talk to someone new every day.  Everything feels so comfortable here.
     One of the things that has gotten me right now is that no one has judged me on my interest of South Korea.  Yes I know... South Korea of all things but I just stumbled upon it and became intrigued several years back.  I can't help myself.

My highschool buddies and
 I celebrating some Asian
 culture by cooking up some homemade
 Korean cuisine.  So yummy! 
     In my english class we are supposed to write about a relationship we have in our livves and so I chose South Korea and how it is involved everyday in my life and how over all it has changed my life as well.  Well, I didn't realize we would be sharing our topics with the entire class.  So one day we went around the room and told everyone what we were writing about.  At first I cringed when the words first slipped out of my mouth.  Then the teacher stopped and became interested.  Not many people choose a country or even a culture to write about.  She aske dme more questions and every day since then she asks me more and more.  At this point I was happy thtat she was interested in my choice of topic but I was stilll wary of what my fellow classmates thought of me.... Until today.
     today we passed around a paper with our topic at the top.  Everyone had to write something about it that could help the person with their thesis.  I was worried about what I would get back but then I saw the first several comments.  Others thought my relationship was so cool and some have even made friends with South Koreans as well as finding the art and music fascinating.  It made me so estatic.  When people first find out about my passion they skip right to judgement.  Even my own "friends" would tease me about it and think I was weird.  It hurts when the people you thought cared about you....look down on you and make fun of you.
    Now I feel great about myself and I feel pushed even more from my teacher and classmates to study abroad and travel over seas. 
    What are you guys judge for?  Open up and comment below. :)  I'd like to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment